Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Disappearing Dock

We had a dock. It was a nice, simple dock commissioned by our previous Country Director. I haven't been swimming in the lake and have only been down to the dock once since I came to Bukavu, but lots of others do and our dock was used as a popular swimming point. Our current CD has also been using the dock in the mornings to launch his kyak from. Slowly the dock has been disappearing. The wooden slats were stolen one by one. Now...the dock is gone.

This isn't a great picture, but you can see I am sitting at the end of the dock (Pic taken January 09)


This is all that remains of the dock as of July 2009.

What does it say about the state of things in Bukavu that the wood from a dock are worthy targets to be stolen in broad daylight?

2 comments:

Keith Miller said...

We love you! Thinking of you... and missing Africa...

Beth N said...

Thanks for visiting my blog--loved all of your pictures. I, too, love those shopping bags and have made several. The afghan pattern is on the lionbrand site--here is a link. http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternFinder.fcgi?search=Search&searchText=circle+in+a+square+afghan&craft=0&categoryKey=Any&subcategory=Any&size=Any&edition=Any&cost=Any&componentCategoryKey=Any&yarnClass=Any&searchType=0&I2.x=18&I2.y=3