Saturday, January 24, 2009

Going Home

How great was going home? OK...rhetorical question. Being at home was the best thing to happen for me in months. I was able to take 6 weeks away from Congo. I spent the first few days in Kampala and Mbale visiting with friends and my beloved Bufukhula. Then came the long trip home. Luckily it was uneventful; I managed to navigate London Heathrow Terminal 5 in hour and make my connection to Vancouver. I was really hoping for an inconspicuous arrival; I didn't want any pomp and circumstance. And I got it...in "typical" fashion no one was at the airport to pick me up. Dad...let me remind you. Know one takes the Lions Gate Bridge to the airport on a Wednesday evening when the person arriving gets in at 6:30pm!


What a shock coming from Kampala with a sunburn after 32 degree heat...to Brrrrrrr! Luckily I had 2 weeks home to acclimatize before the snows started. Being home was so wonderful. You never forget it; the sight, the sounds, the lights of Grouse Mountain. Coming home is like snuggling under a warm quilt in front of a crackling fire with a hot cup of tea. But is it a shock like everyone asks? I am not sure if it bodes well or bad for me, but I didn't find it hard being home. It is surprising how easy it is to fall back into the wealth and consumerism. You don't want to...but how can you avoid it. You have to eat, to shop, to visit with friends. But I know my attitude has changed. You don't take it all so seriously; you respect what blessings were provided to you growing up middle class. You remember not to waste water and to improvise when the sink is plugged and you aren't sure you can wash the Christmas dinner plates in the kitchen sink. Africa teaches you to improvise.


I had so many wonderful moments at home with my parents, my support group, my home group, my pastors. Hanging out with my mom felt like old times. (as did the occasional fight!) But just as important was the quiet time, the time for reflection. After having a rough couple of months, I needed that time to look and reflect back on where God had taken me over the past year and to look forward to the new year and it's limitless possibilities. It was an interesting month. When I left Africa the last week of November I had my heart set on seeeing out 8 more months of my contract and coming home after two years. But with much introspection, a little counseling and a lot of pastoral care, I was able to look back at the past difficult eight months, see them as the growth and learning opportunities they were and know that I hadn't seen why God brought me to the Congo and that I wasn't prepared to leave until I was sure I had made a difference here.


Being home for Christmas this year was so great. Christmas has always been my favorite time of the year. I love the family time and this year was no different (although it was a lot different than last years 32 plus degrees Christmas morning Frisbee and volleyball matches!). The snow almost out a crimp in our plans; we almost cancelled Christmas! Being at my aunt's place, on the hills of West Vancouver, made for some difficult driving times. But persistence, chains and the miracle of the snow plow made all the difference. Christmas was back on and a wonderful time with family and friends, old and new. I couldn't have asked for a more precious time home.

Leaving was difficult, although with a new sense of purpose, not as hard as I thought. I weaned myself back into Africa by making a pit stop in London and seeing the Musical Wicked. The title says it all! The last leg of my journey was a bit rough (waking up in London with a sore throat, 9 hours in Heathrow, 9 hour flight to Entebbe, the unexpected new ticket to Kigali I had to purchase, then a grueling 6 hour drive through Rwanda to Congo. Not fun when you are sick and exhausted. But it felt good to be back in Congo; a relief to be back in my house. It is home for now and there really is nothing like HOME.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad you were finally able to catch Wicked live! well worth it, i'm sure you'd agree.